Friday, July 10, 2009

day one (pics to come later)

And we're off! We left Baldwin at 900pm about (which was an hour later then I had wanted to but you kind of have to expect that sort of thing don't you?) Max unfortunetly caught my cold and wasn't feeling so great so I did the first shift if driving. Let me tell you, after working open to close and running home to finish packing and saying goodbye to my sweet babies poops you out and the having to drive 4 1/2 hours while your other half is sleeping in the back is not an easy thing! I had a very hard time with it... I actually talked to Caitlin on the phone a few times where she told me some of her crazy prego dreams. Other then that, my lovely lovely Coldplay kept me awake. I know you aren't supposed to drive with your headphones in but wouldn't you rather have me awake? I'm sure you agree:)



We got to Caitlins at about 115am... had to drive thru some serious ghetto regions to find her place and the stupid GPS kept telling us to turn where the roads were closed. At this point, I was so very tired and cranky that I could have chucked the thing to the drunk people on the side of the road. But I didn't, I just snapped at Max (who was finally awake at this time) a few times. We made it and after watching Caitlin play donkey kong for 1.2 minutes, we went to bed. Caitlin gave us her bed and she slept in the mushroom chair. Remember that mushroom chair friends? The real nice one that I bought a long time ago with the suede cover that was oh so comfy? I gave that to Caitlin so don't feel like she had a crappy place to sleep. I felt kind of bad making a pregnant girl sleep on a mushroom chair but there was really no other place that Max and I could have slept except the floor!



We woke up around 830 and kind of putzed around in the morning. Caitlin said it wouldn't be worth it to leave before 930 or 10 because we would hit terrible Milwaukee and Chicago traffic which we though was rather smart. We ended up leaving her house at 1030 and headed to the grocery store. Max and I are tight wads so we usually bring food with us and try to stay away from buying food everytime we are hungry but this road trip we are being especially careful because we are on these diets. Now before I hear any whining about being on a diet, I will have you know that both Max and I needed to lose some weight and since we are doing so well, we are taking the extra pains to stay good on this trip. (except for right this moment, I'm waiting for Max outside of McDonalds because we are treating ourselves. We got here at 1026 where I got a breakfast burrito and then parked outside the building so Max could go in and get a double cheeseburger. Haha. We really are on a diet)



Anyway, yesterday was filled with driving. I did the majority of it since Max still wasn't feeling up to par. My poor ass. That's all I have to say. He did drive through Milwaukee and Chicago just because I know how those Chicago people drive and they are crazy! We hit a bit of traffic in Chicago but that's to be expected for the 3rd biggest city in the USA. Once we got through, we stopped to get some gas at the beginning of Indiana and we switched drivers. Indiana has the craziest toll system... or at least I though so when we were going through it. Now I kind of like it. They make you take a ticket and then where ever you get off, you pay the entirety of the toll you owe instead of stopping every 50 to 100 miles like near Chicago. I freaked out a little bit once we were getting out of Indiana just because I had no idea what I was doing but the toll lady was very nice and explained it out real fast for me. Ohio's toll system was just like that but WAY MORE EXPENSIVE! Holy moses! It costs 10.25 to drive through Ohio. Lucky enough for us we split off 94 onto 90/80 which wasn't a toll freeway so it only cost us 6.50 to drive through. Crazy talk if you ask me.



Once 5pm hit we figured we should start figuring out where were going to sleep for the night since most campgrounds close up the registration office early. We were still running on WI time so being an hour ahead put us off our game. It was kind of early to have to stop driving but oh well. We found a KOA in Erie, Pennsylvania that was open until 9pm so we gunned it down and after stopping one time at a Walmart so Max could get a bagful of meds, we got there at 845pm. Whew! We had somewhere to sleep! Pitched the tent in record time and then proceeded to blow up our new double high air mattress. This was a pretty funny process because we didn't have electric at our campsite so we had to do it through the cigarette lighter. The cord didnt reach as far as the tent so we had to blow up the mattress outside. This mattress is huge! I'm incredibly surprised that we even got the thing in the tent! Once we did the mattress took up the entire tent. THE WHOLE THING! We hurried to get our suits on since we were hoping the pool stayed open until 10pm but that KOA had the stupidest hours (noon-8) so we just walked around. Walking felt really nice after spending the entire day in the car. Got back to the tent, set up the lantern (thanks Colette!) and played a couple rounds of golf and spades. Then we hit the sack. That was the conclusion of day one :)



I can't put pictures up right now... the car is too messy to find the stuff I need. Once we eat our breakfast

2 comments:

erin said...

Wait a minute.
Caitlin's pregnant???

Sarah said...

Yikes, that's a lot of driving lady!I wouldn't last very long.
I see you haven't put up any pics yet but you're probably busy enjoying your little trip.
I always do that - bring my laptop along on a trip telling myself I'll blog every day and then never do because I'm either too busy or tired.
I hope you two are having fun!